The mission of the LGBTQ Rights Team is to assure that Charlotte’s public institutions (and private institutions where they infringe on constitutional rights) treat the members of the region’s LGBTQ population with dignity and respect. This team will seek
(1) to enhance the physical and psychological safety of LGBTQ youth;
(2) to extend the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County’s employment protections to LGBTQ teachers, administrators and staff;
(3) to increase awareness of the legal rights of people living with HIV/AIDS;
(4) to provide greater legal protections to transgender residents;
(5) to assure that police and judicial systems treat LGBTQ residents equally; and
(6) to see that all vendors doing business with the city, county, and school district protect their LGBTQ employees with non-discrimination policies.